I’m a Canadian software engineer working at Connected. My app PicText was on Apple’s App Store. I wrote the app the Brooklyn Nets use to plan courtside plays. I like to write code and words, make music, take photos.
BA - General Computing Queen’s University (2014-2017)
Software Engineer at Connected, August 2019 - Present
Web Software Engineer
- Executed large scale refactor of client’s Ruby On Rails application to add support for french language translation.
- Rapidly prototyped application to view DXF files for client. Application could manipulate DXF elements and export the manipulated canvas to JSON.
- Lead development team of internal dashboard tool, mentoring intern developers and contributing to the codebase in Go and React. Deployed application on internal server with Docker.
Developer at Rietta, Inc - July 2018 - July 2019
Ruby on Rails developer specializing in secure agile full stack web application development.
- Wrote conversion task to OCR PDF files stored in AWS and indexed them in Elasticsearch.
- Maintained and extended web application used internally by Georgia State Lawyers for the coordination of legal cases and internal documents.
- Assumed lead developer role to complete client effort using code reviews and agile methodologies to finalize project.
- Implemented token expiration functionality on the open-sourced devise-2fa gem: github.com/williamatodd/devise-2fa
Developer intern at H&L Digital NYC - March 2018 - July 2018
- Worked on whiteboard application for the Brooklyn nets
Ruby on Rails Developer intern at Shopify - September 2017 - January 2017
- Refactored entire order alerts Rails model, allowing extendability and reducing complexity
- Worked on maintenance task to backfill every order with a currency, aiding in decoupling selling and settling currency on the merchant’s side
- Performed various front-end and back-end fixes to allow for multiple currencies in Shopify Payments.
Mobile Developer intern at RedBit development - April 2015 - July 2015
- Junior mobile developer specializing in C# Xamarin development
- Worked on front facing component of taxi app that was accessible to illiterate drivers
- Developed a brochure application to display PDF’s downloaded from their site for presentation using JSON, asynchronous web requests, and C#.
- Wrote blog post on deploying to enterprise development
Developer intern at Mysterious Trousers - April 2014 - July 2014
- iOS and web intern, working on Firehose iOS chat app in Objective-C
- Improved and refactored log-in user experience, notification views, and improved usability on web.
- Fixed usability and performance bugs on backend of chat server
ImageUploader - A complete image sharing social network
- Deployed on a Digital Ocean server, written in Ruby on Rails, images served as static content from Nginx.
- Features include user sign-up/authentication, image uploading, following of users, newsfeed of images from people you’re following.
- Implemented background queueing system using Resque and Redis to create image thumbnails asynchronously without blocking the main thread in order to save bandwidth.
- Utilizes carrot-lang, a template language I wrote to give users control of the layout of their personal page.
PicText - A Picture to Text Convertor
- On app store, programmed in Swift, over 600 downloads.
- Created to send picture messages over an SMS plan for free by encoding images into binary picture data that can be copied to the messages app.
Queen’s Hack Nights, 2014-2015
- Weekly meet up where Queen’s students get together and work on side projects, as well as discussing programming news and related topics to development.
FRC Robotics for 4 years, 2010-2014
- Specialized in image recognition code to find targets autonomously.
- Mentored freshmen and sophomore students in programming and robotics
Python, Swift, Ruby, Java