It’s nice to indulge in the idea of a clean slate. 2017 was a good year. I went from graduating school to an awesome internship to back home, where I’m getting ready for my next move. Heres some things I did, my favourite books of the year, and what I want to do next.
Things I did
- Launched an app on the App Store (it’s off of it now because I didn’t want to pay the $100 a year)
- Meditated a lot
- Read lots of books
- Graduated from Queen’s university with a degree in computing, somehow
- Moved to Ottawa and interned on the payments team at Shopify for four months
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Goals for 2018
- Get much better at programming
- Launch a side project
- Land an awesome full time job in a big city, like New York or Toronto
- Make more art and write more music
- Meditate 30 minutes a day
I think that I have a bit of a problem when it comes to focusing doing hard things for long stretches of time. One of the biggest changes I’m going to try for in 2018 is building my ability to concentrate and lowering my intake of quickly digestible information like Twitter and Reddit. I’d also like to transition into a more SRE-like role in the near future, so I’d like to focus on that.